Life...and other afflictions

The rantings and uninteresting events of my life

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

My 23rd Birthday


The day before my birthday. My aunt wanted to see snow, so we took photos


A photo of me and Marcus posing in front of a frozen river


The frozen, snow-covered river


The rose from Marcus


3 cacti from Marcus (other plants would die in my hands)


Other presents from Marcus


Marcus in his new shirt!


Hien, Fu Wei, me and Mai...in my extremly chaotic, small, colourful room!


A photo of all of us...


Marcus lighting the candles on my cake/slices of cake


Posed for the camera, according to the directions of Mai and Fu Wei, our photography enthusiasts


One more photo in "birthday mode"

It was my 23rd birthday on Sunday...and it was the best birthday I've had since coming to Germany in 2003, thanks in no small part to Marcus.

You see, I've usually spent my birthdays alone, eating my own cake and studying for the exams...but this year it was really different. I really had a lot of fun and apart from the awful weather, it was really a perfect day!

At midnight (we were watching Schlag den Raab...usually we sleep earlier) Marcus wished me a Happy Birthday and gave me all the presents he got me...a rose, 3 cacti, a flower candle (we've had a long standing joke about candles. I told him that don't like receiving them as presents because I never burn them [they are usually too pretty] and end up having them sitting around....so he got me one as a joke present), a photo frame that he made himself...so cute! I want to bring it everywhere with me but he says it'll spoil in my bag. Haha.

He also gave me 2 Sheepworld cards and a bracelet and a necklace, both from FOSSIL. The bracelet and necklace are very pretty...the boy has good taste. :) Opened one more present from the friend who couldn't come to my party...it was a white scarf...will match my jacket. Then we went to sleep.

At 8am, we were awoken by a phone call from my aunt and grandma. After that we lazed around in bed for a while longer before going to shower. We decided to go for brunch at Cafe Scheune in the Neustadt. We were quite lucky because many people who came after us couldn't get seats at all. The cafe is quite small, you see. They had a ton of food! Chicken nuggets, pancakes (normal and filled), cheesecake, chicken curry (that wasn't nice), basmati rice, broccoli and cheese nuggets, Kartoffelpuffer, Hefeklöße, Folienkartoffel, chicken wings, prawns (I think), fish on sticks, spinach pasta, Brokkoli- und Blumenkohlauflauf, gebackene Apfelringe, money bags/spring rolls, Milchreis, mussels, a whole ton of different salads, tomato with mozarella, scrambled eggs, hardboiled (not really) eggs, 4-5 kinds of bread, potato wedges, cheese and cold cuts, Müsli, dried fruit, fruit salad...and other stuff I cannot remember...but man, it was worth the money! We were sooooo full after that..but it's ok, because how often do you really eat so much? Anyway, it was really fun! And all for only 8 euros!

After that, we tried to find a cake because the cake I tried to bake the previous night turned out to be a disaster. But we couldn't find anything...so we just got 5 slices of different cakes. Then we drove home and rested for a bit. Marcus vacuumed my floor for me because he knows I hate vacuuming...he also does the dishes for me most of the time. I am becoming spoilt. His parents and his grandma called to wish me a Happy Birthday...it's really nice of them! Then we made a fruit salad for the evening's party and left for the swimming pool.

At the swimming pool, it wasn't as crowded as we expected. Only the pool for non-swimmers was full of school-going kids. The water was nice and warm and we spent about 90 minutes simply relaxing and enjoying the water. The only thing I find funny is that the pools are made of steel and are not tiled. Marcus played on the tube slide...but I hate dark places, so I didn't want to go down the slide. There were probably more men than women there. I joked with Marcus that I was glad he was short-sighted, so he couldn't see all the gorgeous women in their bikinis.

After that, we went home and prepared the mini-pizzas for dinner. Some got burnt though :(. But in the end, we managed to get everything ready. The food was great...as usual. Mai made glass noodles and Fu Wei baked a quiche. We chatted and ate the whole evening. The fruit salad turned out quite nice! Mai and Fu Wei were camera-crazy and took the pretty and some not so pretty photos...Mai told us about her brother's wedding and we discussed marriage in general. Fu Wei says there's a lot of pressure for her to get married when she goes back to China. Her father doesn't want her to do a PhD because he says women who are highly qualified do not have as good marriage prospects. My family's thankfully not like that, but it's a sign that you're getting older when people starting asking you if you have boyfriend when they meet you.

All in all, it was a great birthday...and I thank my baby for it...and my nice neighbours who cooked such good food :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home