Life...and other afflictions

The rantings and uninteresting events of my life

Saturday, December 24, 2005

It's Christmas in Singapore already! But it's still Christmas Eve here. Cannot open my presents yet :(.

I just baked a chocolate-pear cake. It took a LOT longer than usual to bake cos the pears contain a lot of moisture, which slowed down the baking process..or more precisely, the drying out process. But it tastes pretty good...I wish I had ice cream to eat it with...though it's more pear than cake...but oooh so moist! Yummy! *grin* And it's ALL MINE! Actually, it's the one of the benefits of being alone...if something is good, you can have it all. But I will probably give some to anyone who's around...this hostel is like a ghosttown.

I went to town this morning, cos I know I'm gonna be staying home the next two days. Need to safeguard myself from cabin fever...I don't wanna get all depressed. There weren't many people on the streets and it was windy and cold, but I was happy.

I went to the Christmas Market for the last time...and heard some Christmas songs. Walked down the lanes, but didn't buy anything, cos I wasn't feeling hungry at all, strangely enough. And in any case, the stuff isn't very cheap. But it was really nice, the atmosphere and all. Lots of families with children...really cute children (I only like children who don't belong to me)...I went to C&A as well. Tried on a dress. Quite pretty, but the sequins are pokey...and besides, I just found out that I'll have to pay 102 Euros for accommodation alone on my Austria trip. And about 120 Euro for travelling there. And transport within the cities, probably 60-80 Euro...this trip is gonna cost more than I thought. Sigh. I cannot buy anything anything apart from food and postcards. I'm like a lot more extravagant that I realised. Maybe it really should be my New Year's Resolution to spend less. Especially on clothes. I have a whole bunch of stuff in my closet I haven't even worn yet. Have to learn to think more carefully before I buy stuff..like today, I was thinking if I should buy a handmixer. I'd bought one a week ago to give to Fu Wei. And I mean this seems a bit mercenary, but neither she nor I need one all too often..I mean at the most, twice a month...so what's the point of having two? I mean I could've kept it for myself and lent it to her (but I've never really seen her bake stuff on her own, except twice) but since she wanted it for Christmas...well...but I really don't see any point in getting one for myself now...I'll just borrow when I need...and I really cannot even imagine using it more than once a month...if I have survived 2 1/2 years without it, I can probably survive another 2 1/2 without...I mean I can always borrow...or make things that don't require any mixer. I've always done stuff by hand anyway...the only things that need a mixer are whipped cream, sponge cakes and meringue. I mean other things don't depend on this majorly good whisking in order to rise well.

Haha...I can't believe I'm philosophising about a handmixer on Christmas Eve. I must be very bored.

This year's Christmas Eve is really different from last year's. I just got a really short email from Max which just said "Merry Christmas" and didn't even have my name on it. I suppose he sent a generic one to everyone he knows. But it reminded me of last Christmas Eve, when he called me and I was actually quite surprised, because it was the first time he'd called me...one month after getting my phone number...and this call got me into trouble with Li Yu. Haha...oh boy...how things have changed within a year. Ah well...what's the point of dwelling on the past? We're all living in the present.

There are many things to be sad about...but honestly, what's the point? Why don't we just concentrate on the things that make us happy? I'm planning to. Being sad is very very tiring.

Merry Christmas everyone!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home