Life...and other afflictions

The rantings and uninteresting events of my life

Monday, February 11, 2008

Some people would think it is great that their parents give them everything their heart could fancy. My dad is buying me a new iPod with some video function thing...and while many people would think I am crazy, I must admit I am not thrilled.

Not that I am an ungrateful brat, but rather, I do not need a new iPod. Ok, mine decided not to allow itself to be switched off yesterday...and so it was on the whole day. My dad fixed it somehow, because it was some software problem...ok Apple dudes, how should turning off an MP3 player be a software issue?? Can't you bloody invent a separate on/off button?????? I would love you a lot more for it.

In any case, it was working again this morning and I was appeased, even if my dad kept refusing to tell me how he fixed it (don't ask me why).

So, while I am sitting in my office, my phone rings. As I have no caller-ID, I was actually kinda surprised to hear my dad's voice.
Dad: "Eh, is your iPod working now?"
Me: "Yeah, I suppose so. I managed to turn it off."
Dad: "Eh, I want to buy you a new one...with video function. Which colour you want? Black, silver or blue?"
Me: "I don't want a new one! The old one still works!"
Dad: "The guy already made me an offer."
Me: "But I don't need a new one"
Dad: "Quick, what colour you want?"
Me (sighing): "Aiyah, black lah"
Dad: "Ok, bye!"

So why am I upset? Well, my dad gives me everything I want...and everything I don't want or need either. Yesterday I said I'd better remember to put more money in my wallet cos I needed some for lunch..and this morning, he gave me $50, which he refused to take back. I don't need the money. I have angpow money...I have savings...and I still have my allowance! I don't have big money, but I definitely have enough.

It's the same when I'm sitting in the dining room or in my room. My dad insists on turning on the fan even if I tell him I am not feeling hot and I don't need the fan. I believe in "xin jing zi ran liang" and I really don't want to waste electricity.

My dad asks why I always shout at him. Seems like an unrelated point, right? Actually, it's probably not as unrelated as it seems. Maybe my dad thinks I don't like him too much, which is why I yell, so maybe he trying to buy me things and tries to make me feel comfortable because he thinks I will treat him better? In which case, offering to buy me things all the time, is actually a sign that I've not been a good daughter, because if I were, he wouldn't feel the need to go out of his way to keep buying me things, giving me money and turning on the fan/aircon for me.

So, I guess what I shall do is try to stop shouting at him all the time and treat him more nicely. And, I shall save the extra money he gives me for when he is old, so I can give him back the money he spent on me. That's the least I can do, after all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home