Life...and other afflictions

The rantings and uninteresting events of my life

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Photos from the past week










Actually, this past week has been rather fun too! When I got back on Sunday, I SMS-ed Carlos to ask him what he was doing this weekend. He understood “this weekend” as “today” and said he was watching football but we could “have a meeting tomorrow”. I always find it funny when he says that. I asked him what he wanted to do, and he said that maybe I could cook for him (and by that he also means Sebastian), so I said ok. I had to go grocery shopping the next day anyway, because Jasmine was coming over and I needed to get stuff too. I decided to make white radish soup with carrots and pork bones, as well as fried rice. It ended up being kinda tiring trying to carry everything home, but I somehow made it!

I was watching the Czech Republic vs. USA match. My goodness…it was really funny to hear the Americans speak German! I love the Czech team…I think they’re actually very good (well, THOUGHT, cos they really played like shit against Ghana last night…it’s like they never recovered from the shock of the goal in the 2nd minute! But that’s really really a lousy attitude to have. I mean they are a bit too much like me…I usually do much better if I know I am good at something. If I suck, I kinda give up more easily. BUT…they are professionals!)..I like Pavel Nedved, Tomas Ujfalusi, Milan Baros (too bad he’s injured ?), Jan Koller and Petr Cech. The match against the USA was excellent. The goals by Koller and Rosicky were really pretty ones…slotted in beautifully! I was so happy after watching that match! Carlos and Sebastian came near the end of the match and I tried to watch as much as possible before running downstairs to meet them.

I think the soup turned out pretty well. I really missed radish soup and I always love eating the meat from pork bones (but my dad thinks they’re a waste of money). The fried rice was a little less than normal though, cos I ran out of light sauce and ended up having to use dark soya sauce instead, making it look quite a lot like claypot rice. Apparently, I was also a little heavy-handed on the curry powder, because everyone but me thought it was spicy (including Fu Wei). But they liked it…which is good! While I was running around cooking, the guys watched Italy vs. Ghana. Sebastian commented that Italy was likely to not get any goals at first, but wait till the end to score many goals. We talked a bit more about football and some of the players, like Raul and Figo. Sebastian asked how old I was. I said 22 and he said, “That’s young!” When I asked them how old they were, they said they were around Raul’s age. Actually, I had no actual idea how old Raul was..late 20s to early 30s I suppose. Carlos said that when Raul was 17 and started to play, they were in high school. Anyway, since when are guys so secretive about their age?? When Fu Wei came back from badminton to join us, they asked her how old she was too. She said she was 25. And Sebastian said they thought I was older than her…hmm…what’s that supposed to mean? I look old? Blah. But they also refused to tell her how old they were. Since then, I have found out that Raul is around 28 or29…I forget the exact age. Which isn’t THAT old lah. Carlos and Sebastian brought a really nice white wine. A 2004 Pfalz Herxheimer Herrlich Müller Thurgau. It had a nice light taste and I drank 3 glasses…which was really quite a lot for someone whose alcohol tolerance is close to zilch. But it was my place we were at, so it wasn’t too bad. But I couldn’t formulate proper sentences by then and I was like “Oh shit, my head feels damn heavy!” and I had to put my head on the table. Haha. Carlos patted my head and laughed. I think everyone else did too. It was really kinda funny. Carlos said, “it’s a pity we didn’t bring 2 bottles. You need training!” They also said they only had 3 weeks left in Germany. By this Monday, it would only be 2 weeks. They are really fun people. It’ll be sad when they have to leave. Carlos said he forgot to bring the postcard he got for me from Budapest. It was ok, really. I didn’t actually explicitly get it for him, but I gave him a nice postcard from Heidelberg. It was quite pretty one, with a white border. He liked it a lot and said it was nice than the one he got me. He and Sebastian said they’d make Tortilla for us at his place another time, because the last time, we didn’t get to drink the soup.

The next day, I was panicking nearly the whole day because I didn’t get a call from Jasmine, who wrote in all her emails that she’d call. So I ended up calling Lee Ting and Priscilla and asking if they’d heard anything from her. I was fearing the worst and all…and when she finally called at around 4pm, I was super relieved! I thought like maybe she missed the plane, or the plane didn’t land in Frankfurt, or she got lost at the airport, or she got kidnapped by some stranger. As it turns out, I didn’t think of the most obvious reason: her phone was out of battery. Haha…it makes me feel sooooo stupid, but I guess it’s kinda funny too. We had soup and fried rice for dinner. They weren’t leftovers. I just cooked the same thing again, cos they were the fastest and didn’t need much supervision. The next day, I had class practically the whole day, so Jasmine stayed at home and slept and did her work. We went to the supermarket to get vegetables for our green curry and other groceries as well. We got ice cream and were happily ready to go home, when Jas noticed this weird guy following us. So we decided to take an about-turn and go back into the Altmarkt Galerie…but he continued following us...he must have been about 15 or 16…as in he looked quite young. And he wore a green shirt with an orange t-shirt underneath. We went down the escalator and back up another one…and he was STILL following us! Normally, I am bad at noticing these kinds of things, but he was really super obvious…which was really creepy! Jas and I were freaked out! We went to the info counter and hung out there for a while. He continued lurking around…ugh. We also realised that we couldn’t loiter there forever, so we decided to speak to the lady at the info desk…not that she could really do anything about him, but maybe if he thought we were going to do something about him he’d get scared. And he did. The lady said she couldn’t do anything now, but if he continued to follow us around, we should come back and she’d notify security or the police or something. We waited for him to leave and then we left by another exit. Man! That was freaky. At least we weren’t alone! And this is one of the times you realise that it is really good not to be too pretty or to be a celebrity, cos you’d probably have to deal with such crap all the time. Eeks!

We went back home and had green curry! Yummy! It was fabulous! I love green curry! I love spicy things! The next day, I had classes again. Blah. Jas went out to see Prager Str. by herself, while I was rotting in class. It was as hot as in Singapore, except that they don’t have fans or aircons here! I was dying! Went to the BibLounge with Mai after our Wortschatz Seminar…had a drink and a slice of strawberry cake. June’s really the best month to have strawberries! Never buy strawberries from any other country apart from Germany (if you are in Germany) because they are the freshest and the ripest there are…the Italian and Spanish ones aren’t really ripe cos they wanna ship them here. Ugh…so they are sour and not very nice. After that, we had Landeskunde und Neue Medien. I actually talked quite a lot this time, while I hardly ever talk during seminars. I guess cos I am not really good at discussing theory. But once you apply it to a practical situation, I can see things much better and can make constructive comments too. It’s just the way I am. I can’t understand things until they are put into practice, until I can see a practical use for them. Which is why when you criticise me, I expect you to tell me how I can practically do it better the next time…not just “oh, that’s not good”. I want “Oh, that’s not good, but I think you can make it better by doing XYZ”. They thought our idea for the project is good. I just hope we have the time to collect all our info and to write all the texts by the end of the semester hols. Working with Mai helps, because we can always discuss the project when we have free time…don’t have to go out of our way to meet up. When we came home, we realised that we had gotten new stoves! We were soooo happy and we went to take photos of them. Haha! So boliao right? But when you’ve spent nearly 3 years baking in a oven that is so covered in grease that you can’t see what’s inside it, you are very very happy! I decided to bake a cake…like a “stove-warming party”. That evening we also had mapo tofu and Chinese cabbage soup. The mapo tofu was actually really nice, spicy enough, but not too spicy…and the tofu was smooth and excellent. Fu Wei joined us for dinner. Oh yeah, Mai said she and Phuong had the feeling that Fu Wei was in love with someone lately…in the past 2-3 weeks. Hm..I wonder how come I don’t notice such things, but after Mai mentioned it, I guess I started noticing things too. At first, Mai said there’s been this guy who’s visiting Fu Wei very often lately. But the last I heard, he had a gf in Weimar, so I thought it couldn’t be him. He went on the Weimar trip with Fu Wei and me…so that’s how I know him too. But then, things might have changed, because he’s come over really really often over the last week that I’ve been back in Dresden…last night too, although it was really late! Hmm…what’s going on? And Fu Wei is getting especially forgetful. She forgot that I paid her the 20 Euros for the Weimar trip..and thought I owed her the money. I never forget money I owe people, even though I sometimes forget when people owe me money…and I was really frustrated…not because I think Fu Wei was trying to cheat me, but because she really cannot remember and she is forced to take my word for it that I paid her (I really did…but on her part, she really isn’t sure!). Sigh. I hate it when it comes to money matters. And the second incident was when I said I was cooking chicken rice on Saturday evening…and she said she was going cycling on Sat. So I said, if that’s the case, how about we have it on Sunday instead? She said, “No, Saturday’s ok.” So I said, “Ok, Saturday then.” AND SHE FORGOT!!!!!!! Now I understand what my auntie feels like now that my grandmother’s memory has deteriorated. But seriously, Fu Wei is 25, not 82! So I guess something big must be happening in her life so that she is so preoccupied and forgetting stuff. She is blur and sometimes forgetful, but it was never THIS bad. Jas and I kept scheming to find out who the guy was…haha..it’s great to have a partner in crime! I also got an email from Carlos that day, to tell me that he’d lost his phone. I wonder how he remembered my email address because he saved it in his phone.

On Friday morning, we woke up early to go swimming. It was exhausting, after 3 weeks of not having swum. Towards the end, my knee began to hurt…and this although I was swimming way slower than everyone else there. But I was like damn hyper after the swim. Pumped with endorphins and adrenalin. I was glad to be home though…we had breakfast and then took a nap till lunch time or so. Then I had to go for tennis. Florian was back…and I played badly. I don’t know why…does it have something to do with the fact that I think he’s cute and it’s Murphy’s Law that I end up doing stupid things and playing badly because of the fact I think he’s cute? We had to hit all these low balls, but weren’t allowed to volley. We could only hit it after it bounced. But I kept volleying! It was out of instinct…I really felt it was…not TENNIS instinct, but rather, an instinct to hit away anything that came near your face ASAP. Florian made fun of me for complaining that it was instinct that made me volley the balls. We had to play this weird game that was quite fun, but because of the many low balls, I had to keep squatting, a movement I am not used to, so I ended up straining the muscle in my butt…at first it wasn’t too bad..but it got so bad that I couldn’t take it and just let myself fall to the ground. Florian was like “Oh, it was a cramp right?” Erm…I shook my head. “Well, you only get muscle aches after like 3-4 days, so it must be a cramp!” Erm…what’s he trying to say? “Es zieht ja richtig, nicht?” He sounded almost gleeful when saying this. But he cleared the bench and let me sit on it and he also played for me and won. Actually, I only won once without his help. Haha…it’s not fair…how come I end up looking like an idiot in front of the guys whom I think are cute?

After tennis, I went to Netto to buy some groceries. The strawberries looked great, so I got a punnet. Then Jas, Mai and I planned to go to Hai Au, the Viet restaurant I liked…Mai was there to interview…while the 2 of us would have dinner. But there was the Neustadtfest and so the streets were cordoned off by tons and tons of police vehicles! And there were lots of people…so we were wondering what to do next. But we chanced upon Pailin, a Thai restaurant. Mai knew the owner too, so we had an easier time interviewing and stuff. And the décor is soooo NICE! There is a bridge and a small pond thing inside! Fabulous! We took lots of photos with Mai’s camera. The prices were similar to Hai Au’s but the variety wasn’t so great. They didn’t have many noodle dishes. Only 3 fried noodle dishes. But what we did order tasted really good. Jasmine had chicken with red curry and I had beef fried in chilli paste. We asked for extra spicy…and ooohhhh it was just sooo good! And we got keropok free and 20% off, because we were Mai’s friends! And we also ordered a dessert. The vanilla ice cream was heavenly! And I am really picky because vanilla is my favourite flavour. But I also like nearly everything with banana. Jasmine also really liked the wine that the guy recommended. It was also a Müller Thurgau. We went home satisfied and happy.

The next day, we took it slow. Had breakfast with Fu Wei…I cooked porridge cos I was trying to clear the fridge a little. It was quite interesting. There was minced meat and spring onions and some leftover soup thrown in. After that, Jas and I went to shower and then headed for the supermarket. Bought quite a lot of stuff, including another Müller Thurgau for the visit to Carlos’ place on Tuesday. But somehow, we managed to carry everything home! Yay!

Then I had to rush to do a few things before we went to meet Steffi. It was a big mistake. NEVER EVER plan to make Chendol when you’re in a hurry. My Chendol ended up totally horrible…unlike the first time. The beans were too hard and the Chendol was too sticky…and the coconut milk was a little strange. *ok, Fu Wei is whistling yet another love song. If she’s not in love, I have no idea what she is!*

We met Steffi outside UFA Palast and took the tram to Synagoge. Then we walked along the river and took photos. Jas seemed to like Dresden…I do too…I love walking along the Elbe. I fall in love with Dresden all over again, every time I walk down the Terassenufer. Just as we were climbing down the stairs, I suddenly realised someone was calling my name or something. It was like being awoken from a dream, in the sense that I was made aware of something that I previously wasn’t aware of. It turned out to be Carlos, with Victor and one other girl. I was quite surprised he recognised me, because he saw this photo of Lee Ting and asked me if it was a photo of Fu Wei…erm…and said he couldn’t really tell the difference. Also, I wasn’t expecting on seeing anyone I knew on the streets…that rarely ever happens to me, even in Singapore, which is so small…so it came as quite a surprise. And I think I ended up using words he couldn’t really understand, like “What a coincidence!” He’s not stupid…his English is just not very good. He knows lots of stuff though, like about Rizal and Bismarck. It felt a little awkward too, cos I had 2 friends and he had 2 friends and they all didn’t know each other. But he said, I expect to see you on Tuesday. I’ll write you an email.” He also said they were going to the Neustadt for coffee or something. I should’ve asked them if they wanted to go to Meissen on Sunday (today), ‘cos I could’ve brought Jas there too..but I was too surprised to have met them that I wasn’t thinking properly.

Then we went to have ice cream…also nice. I loved the cream and the vanilla ice cream. Steffi says we probably gave the waitress too little tip. Ah what the heck. At least it’s better than nothing.

Then we decided to go back to my place and cook chicken rice and the beans. The chicken rice tasted really good! I love Prima Taste Chicken Rice mix! We watched the Czech vs. Ghana match while eating. Ghana played extremely well, while the Czech Republic played like shit. It looked like there were 4-5 Czech players and about 20 Ghanaian players…like hello, it’s as if the Czech players suddenly realised “Oh, we are most over 30…and such old men cannot run!” I was so freaking disappointed! To think the Czech team was my co-fave with Germany. If they continue to play like that, they going to LOSE…and they are playing Italy next…good luck to them. But then again, if Italy plays the same way they did against the USA, then it’s going to be a fair but also very boring match. Hope they realise what is at stake and give it their all! Sekali US and Ghana get into the next round instead of them. Last night was really a horrible night for the more established European teams. However, playing aside, the World Cup is really a good time to ogle cute guys. You discover cute guys at every match! During the Germany-Poland match, I kept wanting Germany to score so that they’d show a close up of the Polish goalkeeper…haha! Del Piero and Totti are cute too…and Figo…he’s so MAN! Ok, I shall not bother to list all, cos there are just too many! Every match has at least 1-2 good-looking players…or coach…or referee. There are a lot of yandao old guys ;) Haha…yeah, probably not such a good idea to watch football with boys..because they’d complain about our irreverence for the game…it’s not true. We don’t just look at the guys, we really do watch the playing also, ok!

Anyway, have to go and look for my tickets for Kabale und Liebe, which Fu Wei and I are going for tomorrow. Fu Wei was very happy to hear that I’d misplaced something too, because then she wasn’t the only one who frequently misplaces things. Haha!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home