Life...and other afflictions

The rantings and uninteresting events of my life

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Photos from this week










Well, these are the photos from this week! Jas and I slacked at home on Sunday...the weather was sucky anyway. Honestly, I cannot remember what we did...but the time passed pretty quickly anyway.

On Monday, we were awoken by DRILLING...and DEAFENING drilling at that...AT EIGHT AM!!! We wanted to leave the house, but the weather was seriously BAD...we tried to live with it, but in the end, we decided to go to Prohlis to do some shopping...cos at least it was indoors and I had to do some grocery shopping anyway. We went to New Yorker, Colloseum, H&M and Pimkie and tried on lots of clothes! I didn't buy so many things lah...not as many as in previous summers anyway. Jas tried on this green dress that looked really good with her hair! She also got a really cute brown jacket for only 10 Euros! I bought this brown top that I thought looked pretty good. I love the material! I think I might go to the other 2 H&Ms in Prager Str and see if they have this top in other colours. But honestly, I'm beginning to like brown quite a lot. At Pimkie, I bought a denim miniskirt with sparkly gems...haha...it's another one of those things I've always wanted. Oh by the way, I still haven't worn all the tops I have in my closet. And I've been wearing a different nearly every day. I guess I really have too many clothes.

Then we went to the supermarket..we just rushed through...and then we bought strawberry cake! I've been eating a lot ever since I went on my nice long holiday. It's hard to get out of the holiday mode, especially after having Jas over here too. All the sweet things appeal to me. I think we just watched football again in the evening.

The next day, I went for my first class, but decided to pon the two in the afternoon...I went to the Neustadt with Jasmine instead, and showed her the Kunsthofpassage and Hauptstrasse, where we had ice cream. It wasn't as good as the one we had near the Zwinger, but we got to eat near the Goldener Reiter and I suppose that's what we were really paying for. We also walked across the Augustusbrücke. Everytime I walk across that bridge, I ask myself if I am really here, if it's not just a dream. It seems too beautiful to be real, really. We walked to the Frauenkirche and to Altmarkt Galerie to buy more groceries. We thankfully didn't meet any weird stalkers this time.

I was exhausted by the time we got back...and so I decided to pon class and watch the Germany vs Ecuador match. It was worth it! Though Ecuador played quite shittily, it was still great to watch. Miroslav Klose is SOOOOOOO YANDAO! And he scored another 2 goals. But they substituted him before he had the chance to score a hattrick. Oh well. Still got chance later on, I guess. But YAY! I'm glad I didn't miss that match! Go Deutschland!!

While I was watching this, I tried making the Aachener Reisfladen again. The last time, the base was a disaster...and this time, I'd made almost the exact same mistake...I thought: Oh shit...NOT AGAIN! I didn't read the recipe properly for the second time. But I decided to just try, even though the dough looked more like batter than dough. I decided that if it tasted bad, I'd just leave it at home and eat it myself. But then I decided to risk it and we brought it over to Carlos' place. We also brought over 2 bottles of wine...one was a Müller Thurgau and the other was a rose (I dunno how to put the accent over the e). Both were really good! The tortilla was good too, but I preferred the first one to the second one, which was too salty. They also made couscous, and it was really good, albeit a little salty.

Surprisingly, they all (referring to Carlos, Sebastian and their friends) seemed to like the Reisfladen...and Carlos said I was a good cook. Haha...I mean I think I am an average cook. I am just grateful that I can cook. It's really sad when people cannot cook. It's a very useful survival skill...I don't cook the complicated things anyway.

There wasn't all that much conversation this time...because the group of Spanish speakers got quite big and they were talking among themselves for a while and we were talking among ourselves and we were trying to watch England vs Sweden. Both teams totally sucked, though I must say that David Beckham's corner kicks and free kicks really are of quite a high calibre.

Then, everyone else left and there was only Carlos, Sebastian, Fu Wei, Jasmine and me. Which was tough too, because it's hard to have an odd number of people in a conversation. Had to try hard to make sure everyone was engaged in conversation. Somemore, Jas hasn't known them as long as Fu Wei and I have...so...it was probably a little harder for her. Plus, the language problems and all...but it is still nice to be in their company because they are friendly, easy-going people. The only real problem is the language barrier I guess. It makes it quite tiring for both sides.

Jas, Sebastian and I left at around 12.35am. But Jas and I missed our tram, so we sat outside and ate more Reisfladen. It was not too cold outside, thankfully. I was wearing a spag top and a miniskirt!

The next day, I had classes again, from 9.20 till 14.30. It was quite exhausting and VERY hot and humid! My teacher asked if it was as hot as in Singapore. It was, but worse because they don't have fans and airconditioning here! The air was so still and I was just perspiring in sheets. AND, I forgot to bring water, so I ended up drinking something which was supposed to be like Sprite, but didn't taste as good. Blah. Have to remember to bring water, so I don't waste money or have to drink weird tasting things.

I was supposed to meet Kenny, someone from my Goethe class in 2003. Haven't seen him since then actually. But he couldn't make it yesterday, so we changed it to today. Jas and I cooked Hack-Reis-Topf...it was pretty good, and was even better with some chilli flakes added to it. We also baked a cake with some Schokopudding in it. Yum! The Argentina vs Netherlands match was forgettable though. :(

This morning, Jas left. So sad :( No more funny, crappy comments when watching football! I love watching football with her! We make the silliest comments and have the best time ever looking out for cute players, refs and coaches...but we also look at their playing also lah...not just at cute guys. But good players who are cute are better than good players who are ugly or lousy players who look good. Anyway, she's heading off to Würzburg, where she'll stay with Priscilla. I'm sure she'll have a better time there, since she knows Pris a whole lot better than she knows me. But I am really glad she came. I had fun while she was here.

Before that, I had Swedish and after that, I had Wortschatzarbeit. I wanted to go home and not stay for Landeskunde...partly because I hate having free periods in between and partly cos I wanted to watch the Italy vs Czech Republic match. Also, we really could pon, cos it was independent work on our projects this week. And since Mai and I are partners and neighbours, we decided to work at home instead. After all, the computers in the com lab are running on Windows 98 and take 5 min to boot and 5 min to shut down! And we did manage to be quite efficient...more efficient than if we had stayed in uni, because we could discuss out loud and also didn't waste time travelling here and there. We also disciplined ourselves by saying we'd work until 4pm and then watch the match. We didn't accomplish as much as we had planned, but we are satisfied with the results.

Then we went to Asia Snack and asked a couple of questions, and I had dinner there with Kenny.

Now, onto FOOTBALL

I don't believe it. It seems fewer and fewer guys I know are football fans. What is wrong with guys these days? I can't tell you how many times I've heard, "Oh, but I'm not much of a soccer fan" the past couple of weeks. How can you not be?? It is the WORLD CUP...the WORLD CUP, people!

The only guys I know at the moment who are actually interested in watching the matches, I can count on my fingers. This has made me come to the conclusion that if I ever get a boyfriend, he'd better be a football fan. I don't mean the "I have to wear my team's jersey on the days they play, if not they will lose" kind of fans...but someone who just enjoys watching, if not playing football. Football is an exciting game! So many emotions, so much beautiful footwork and trickery...it's hard not to love football...well, world-class football anyway. I want to be patriotic, but I am also realistic: the S-League SUX big time. I remember when I first started watching football..I was 9 years old and Singapore was still playing in the Malaysian League. That was when Singapore football was interesting and I really regularly watched football on TV. I also liked Man Utd in secondary school. But then in recent years, I've basically only watched the major tournaments...cos no time to follow a league and I don't really support any team anyway.

Anyway, I really really did love the Czech Republic. I was sooo happy when they beat the US 3-0 in their first match. But the goal in the 2nd minute of the Ghana-Czech Rep match seemed to signal the beginning of the end. They played horribly against Italy as well. I love Pavel Nedved, but WHY OH WHY did he keep aiming for the goalkeeper? It's football, not BOWLING! Baros was very unlucky too. He didn't get enough support upfront and obviously he couldn't score. Such a pity! So much promise but so little tangible gain. What on earth happened? Well...I guess it might've been the loss of Jan Koller and Baros (who actually didn't play in the first match) and Ujfalusi...but c'mon...a team can't only depend on 2 or 3 top players..is it because these missing players were the ones orchestrating the Czech play or because the loss of these important players was demoralising? Anyway, I am just really sad for them...and pretty disappointed by them. It's the last World Cup for quite a lot of the Czech players, cos they are over 30. Sigh.

Another player that makes me feel sad is Ronaldo. He looked so fornlorn during the first two matches...and what with the Brasilian president calling him too fat to play in the World Cup and his not finding the back of the net during the first 2 matches. He just looked sooo sad and out of his element. But now I am watching the Brazil-Japan match and he's just scored 2 goals, equalling Gerd Müller's record of 14 World Cup goals. He looks happier now...and there's an unmistakeable light in his eyes. Yes, this is the Ronaldo we all know and love. Guess Real Madrid seems to be the hospice for famous football players. A whole big bunch of superstars, but not very very successful as a team...and then, they just reach the end of their careers there. Football death. Sigh. But who cares...for now, Ronaldo's back!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home