Life...and other afflictions

The rantings and uninteresting events of my life

Saturday, January 14, 2006

Spent another day pigging out yesterday...haha..oh well...dunno why, but other people going on diets somehow end up making me wanna eat more. Maybe to make up for the less that they eat?

Anyway, I got my Schein for German Lit on Friday...the prof gave me a 2. Which hopefully means I'll have a 2 average for my Grundstudium grade. I think I have a 1,4 average for Anglistik...which is quite good actually. I am proud of myself. I am not lousy student, even if I do hate studying. Maybe I should really tell myself to focus. I haven't done anything productive in the last week...or the last dunno how many weeks. I desperately need to start studying for Swedish man...I need to pass...if not, I also cannot get my Schein and then I cannot take my Anglistik Zwischenprüfung. Last sem's work seems so easy compared to this sem's stuff. How am I gonna cope as it gets harder?

I was so happy to get away for a day yesterday. I met Raymond in Meissen...but a lot of things were closed. Sigh. Seems January is not a good month to visit Meissen. We climbed up the Albrechtsburg...and went into the Dom. It wasn't bad...everything looks quite new though. But the castle was closed (it's closed in Jan for thorough cleaning. Other people have spring cleaning, but the castle has winter cleaning. Then we climbed down..and had cake at a cafe. I had Quarkkuchen mit Obst. Yummy! I love German cakes. Ok, if anyone still owes me a birthday or Christmas present, get me a recipe book for German cakes! Haha...thick-skinned! I'll probably buy it for myself.

Anyway, we decided to go to the Meissner Porzellan Manufaktur after that...I love that place...I am beginning to like porcelain a lot. And some of the Meissner porcelain has super fine brushwork. I am not very good at art (I failed...haha) but I think I have learnt how to appreciate the painting on some Meissner Porzellan. Especially those with flowers. After that, we got hungry, so we went for lunch at "Zum Loch", where Rach and I had lunch the first time I'd been to Meissen. The Putenschniztel mit Brokkoli und Kroketten was good. I really liked the broccoli. It was soft but not too mushy. Then we semi-rushed to take the train back to Dresden. Wanted to go to the Internationale Buchhandlung, but it was closed. Went to another bookshop, which didn't have what Raymond was looking for. Ended up at an Eiscafe having ice cream sundaes. Well, I had my fave "banana cup" and Raymond had a plate of Spaghettieis that looked like a pile of worms on the menu. But it had a lot of nuts and I "stole" one from him. The waitress was quite obviously trying to chase us away...because it was nearly closing time. So we walked back to the train station and Raymond got his ticket home.

After that, I went home and Fu Wei suggested baking Lebkuchen (gingerbread) from this ready-made dough she'd bought from the supermarket. She, Mai and I made it while watching Deutschland Sucht den Superstar. The first batch was burnt cos Fu Wei didn't know how to read the temperature on the oven knob. But never mind, I managed to change the temp for the rest of the batches and they turned out fine. The dough smelled great, but it is slightly tasteless. Ah well...I had quite a lot for breakfast this morning...maybe 15-20. So full now!

Anyway, the results for Deutschland Sucht Den Superstar were disappointing. The 2 guys who totally didn't deserve to stay on both got in! Like "kelong" man! But I mean that's the problem with democracy, isn't it? If you let the voters have their choice, then merit won't necessarily be part of the criteria. I mean hello, the two guys CANNOT sing...and they've never been able to...they've proven it in the last couple of weeks. But I guess when the judges say "Oh X will probably get voted out today", then probably all the friends or fans will desperately start calling for X. And the other people, who may be better don't get as many calls because they don't think they're gonna get kicked out. Hmmm...this is kinda weird, but I guess this happens all the time. I mean that Stephan Darmstaedt guy does have fighting spirit...but hello, you have to be able to sing as well, correct?? Sigh. Blah. I do believe too much democracy is bad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home