Life...and other afflictions

The rantings and uninteresting events of my life

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Well, well...the party went better than I expected in general. There were good and bad things. My cookies were too hard, but they tasted ok. We brought ice cream, which was a big hit, especially with the girls. Haha. There was lots of food! We found out that Thomas' parents own a bakery...so there was lots of cake and bread. And I mean A LOT! There was also tons of beer and tons of wine, sekt and prosecco (or however you spell that). Tons of everything, basically. There was salad and chilli con carne and pasta too. Fabulous! Everyone was saying that the chilli was spicy, but erm, it wasn't in the least bit for me, and I know that my tolerance has gone down a lot since coming here.

Anyway, Fu Wei and I got there at 8.30 or so. There were already people there, including Thomas' sister. We didn't really talk to anyone at first...only Thomas, cos like duh, he's the only one I actually know..even if I don't know him THAT well. We looked around the apartment a bit. I'd like to live in something like that. The rooms are big and spacious...and so's the bathroom. The kitchen's also perfect for 2 people I think. But it got a bit squeezy with all the people who were beginning to stream in. Fu Wei and I sat on the balcony and talked a bit...and ate a lot...Thomas came occasionally to check if we were ok and stuff. It was a bit weird lah...so we ate more stuff. I ate ice cream, some cocktail sticks (grape, cheese, banana), 2 kinds of cake, drank lots of juice and 2 types of wine etc. After spending a looong looong time talking among ourselves, we decided to walk around a bit, you know, change location..haha...

Anyway, we were in the kitchen when I saw something that looked like fried carrot cake...but I couldn't remember what it was called: "chai tow kway". So I stood there for a long long time...and just couldn't recall the name! Then this guy came over and said it was a tortilla. A Spanish one...and erm, I guess if you are like me, you'd automatically think of the Mexican flour or corn tortillas...but this one is made of eggs and potato. The guy explained to us what it was...and how you cook it...and that was the beginning of conversation with third parties that night. His friend came along and explained to us too...it's amazing how food can be such a conversation starter. But the friend could only speak English...not German, so we switched to English...Fu Wei found it a little tough, but it was ok...they told us where they came from (Spain) and what they're doing in Dresden: internships under LEONARDO, an internship exchange programme or something. They're only here for 3 months and they told us about how they found a place to stay, which was quite interesting. They went around the Mensa asking people...aiyoh...I'd die if I had to do that. But they managed to find something they liked and that suited their purpose.

They drew a map to show us where they're from...haven't heard of it..it's in Andalucia (that I've heard of), but Die Another Day was shot there...you know, the famous Halle Berry in that orange bikini scene...gorgeous man! So the guy that made the tortilla is called Sebastian and his friend's called Carlos. It was very funny because Fu Wei kept asking Carlos to repeat his name. And she said, "Isn't that the name of a handsome guy?" Haha...then Sebastian said she was thinking of another word, but she couldn't remember it anyway...then she wrote "Carro" which apparently means cart..haha. We had a good laugh and at that moment, I knew that my decision to ask Fu Wei along was a very very very good one. Then we ended up "splitting up" in the middle, cos we were in the kitchen and would've been blocking the way to the balcony if we'd continued standing in a big group. So I talked to Carlos and Fu Wei talked to Sebastian. I can't even really remember what we talked about...I think about Singapore...he told me his impression of Singapore...and about how he doesn't know any German..about the supervisor at the Frauenhofer Institute and stuff like that...just random stuff you tell a stranger I guess. He asked what we did on weekends...I told him I didn't do anything cos I didn't know many people and it's stupid to hang around at night alone. He said, "If you give me your phone number, maybe we can all go out during the weekends or something". And he said I was very responsible or something like that. Then this girl came to join us...and oh, he was telling us about the places to visit in Spain...then his friend called and he had to go "rescue" him.

So Fu Wei and I talked to Kathrin, who's from Leipzig...and then her friend came over and so did Andreas, Thomas' housemate. Then we went to check what time the tram was leaving...and ended up in Andreas' room...which was playing really really loud music. We met Nico, Carlos and Sebastian's friend...he's very very funny..he reminds me a little of Ralf Schmitz. Erm, I guess none of you know him...but it's ok lah :) He's a German comedian. There was a bit of dancing...I wasn't the one doing it though...haha...it was the other pple in the room. Carlos didn't believe I could get drunk on one beer...I wouldn't have believed it either, but since last year, it's been like that. Haha..I don't get drunk lah, but I do get tipsy and my concentration and sense of balance totally goes. Anyway, he got me a beer...I drank a bit...it's not too bad lah...think I am getting used to it. But Fu Wei helped me to drink the most of it. Oh, the funny thing was, we tried to leave earlier, but it didn't work...like we kena held back when we were trying to say bye to everyone...Carlos and Sebastian AND Nico kept asking us why we were leaving so early...it was about 1 am plus by then...and I had to keep screaming "She has to talk to her parents at 8 tomorrow morning" over the loud music. I'm surprised I don't already have a sore throat. Then Carlos said, "You are a very nice girl." or something to that effect. Erm..ok. Oh..he told us to try Gazpacho earlier on in the night. He says it's really good. But you need a blender for it. Haha...and he says, if you don't like garlic, you won't like Spanish food. Sebastian got Fu Wei's number and fortunately he checked with me..cos he was missing a digit at the end. So after dilly-dallying for one entire hour, we finally managed to leave...but not before Nico started this crazy air kissing dance with Fu Wei...haha...it was funny. And Carlos said, "I hope to hear news from you", to which I wanted to reply: "What kind of news?" But then it would've been making fun of him...not that I think he would've gotten the joke anyway...so I decided not to be so evil. I said bye to Thomas and I tell you, it is damn awkward when people plan to do things you don't expect...erm...please don't read this wrongly hor...I shook his hand and he leaned over for one of those casual hugs which I'd usually give my friends (usually female)...except I wasn't expecting it and I had no idea where to suddenly put my hands. It was really very weird, but funny too.

So all in all, it was a pretty interesting night. And it did kinda prove that the outsiders do get along with each other more easily than trying to mix with the in-group. In this case, the in-group comprises the Vogtland people who've known Thomas and Andreas for years...and the outsiders being Kathrin from Leipzig, the Spaniards and me and Fu Wei. Interesting...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home